The Project: lil' Will was born last year during the 21th Shakespeare Festival in Neuss. The idea was to let Shakespeare's spirit last a little bit longer in the theatre after the shows. Therefor I wanted to experiment with the technique of video mapping. On this blog I try to document the progress of William getting on the surface of the beautiful Globe theatre.


5.1.12

Let's get digital:

Computer work could be very boring. Especially when you tell somebody who isn't very interested & familiar with this kind of stuff. So I try to keep it very simple and short. If you have more questions. Comment this post and I'll see what I can do for you.



First of all I created the base mesh. This is the point when you rebuild the clay figure digitaly into your 3D-program. In this case I got great references cause the clay-model stood right next to me on a table. Besides what is visible here he also has theeth so when he opens his mouth theres also something to see

Then I started to create a lot of so called blendshapes. In this step lil' Will got his mouth expressions e. g. when he smiles, frowns has its mouth wide or narrow. A speacial treatment what I never did before is to connect his moustage to this expressions, so when his mouth deforms also his moustage adjusts with it. For the nerds between ourselves, ...this is very cool :D


To control his expressions with his brows I found another solution. The brows deform along curve which you can control with this yellow circles. If you change their position you can create remarkably readable emotions on Will's face.

All the colorful curves you see in this picture are to control the position of lil' Wills body. Therefore you had build a humanoid skeleton inside of his body and bind them to the skin. This whole procedure of character building took me about  21 days.

Until here only the rough form of the body and the proportions has been determined. We still can change his apperance on the screen/wall dramaticly. When it comes to rendering and lighting. But this I'll explain to you in one of the following posts. :)

1 comment:

  1. Doing research on "Un-Dust the Bard" I came across this project and must say: I am really enthusiastic about it! How can I get permission to view the video of the performance at the Globe Theatre in Neuss, Germany? Would appreciate an answer to gisa.arnold@t-online.de.

    ReplyDelete