The Project: lil' Will was born last year during the 21th Shakespeare Festival in Neuss. The idea was to let Shakespeare's spirit last a little bit longer in the theatre after the shows. Therefor I wanted to experiment with the technique of video mapping. On this blog I try to document the progress of William getting on the surface of the beautiful Globe theatre.


5.12.11

clay: classic 3D

With the thoughts and rough scetches in my mind I immediately began to clay. I like this method very much cause you get all information you need to build this character in a 3D program. Also it's one of the last things you don't do with the computer. So I enjoyed to work with my hands. At the same time you see at this step if things work in space. Sometimes things you scetched earlier in your scetchbook don't work in 3D space. So it's a very important to translate the 2D design to our world before pushing it immediately in digital into the computer.





This sculpture took me about five days to make. Onder the surface there is a wire construction to keep this tiny thin arms and legs in position. So you first need to build the rough proportions with wire and fix it on the fundament wood. Then you start to build the claybody around it. Without a good wirejob you won't get a good result after all. What also should be mentioned is that this T-Pose is very handy to go on working in the 3D-program with. So for this reason it's modelt in this weird way.

While I was working on this I was inspired by the great costume designs in the film "Shakespeare in Love". They did a very good job on this project. However this cheesy film was only worth it for the costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment