The Project: lil' Will was born last year during the 21th Shakespeare Festival in Neuss. The idea was to let Shakespeare's spirit last a little bit longer in the theatre after the shows. Therefor I wanted to experiment with the technique of video mapping. On this blog I try to document the progress of William getting on the surface of the beautiful Globe theatre.


11.7.11

We decited to work with the technique of videomapping. With this technique you are allowed to create illusions on the surface of buildings. To stress more this beautiful & interesting Globe theatre. Also a character should entertain the audience and bring the joy to the people.

This was the intellectual birth of "lil' Will". When I started with sketching, I didn't make that much sketches as I normaly do. But during this period I was constantly busy with the question: How this character should look like? What are his main attributes and how can you see them in the design?


I decided to give him an outstanding head. He should look like a profound thinker, a poet. Mainly working with his head. The most important features to recognize William Shakespeare as a character is his moustache and his expressive haircut. These are nearly enough features to describe his outer appearance. So I experimented a little bit with that. Additional I did some research in the clothing of the time around the 16. century. Very typical for this time were the shoulder elements and these 'aladin' trouwsers. So Will got also some of these. :)

Also people who have this beautiful minds are intend to have some issues in normal life. Think about the crazy professor who forgets constantly where his glasses are. So I wanted to give him a little bit of a goofy side. I thought, when I extend his leg and arm proportion a little it'll make him walk and stand more clumsily.  But at the same time this are the fundamentals to give him a camp movement, when it comes to animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment